Re: Advocating non-free softwares

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:21:01 +0100

On 02/27/2013 11:41 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
I am and have been ambivalent about being part of the GNU project.  It
has come with a lot of harping about how we should say things (like
insisting on naming Linux as "GNU/Linux"), with little in return.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, I've long felt there was something of an inconsistency in Lilypond's relationship to GNU and GNU policy in any case.

The most obvious oddity is that LP requires contributors to use a non-free software service -- Google Code -- to track bugs.

I'm not saying "You have to ..." or taking a pro/anti-GNU position, it just strikes me as odd. In fact the divergence between LP and GNU was stronger a few years ago, when I got rather aggressively put down during a list discussion on C/C++ coding style for suggesting the GNU style guidelines -- this has clearly since changed...