Re: removing identical staves

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: removing identical staves
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:09:11 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Helge Kruse" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:43 PM
Subject: removing identical staves

I there, I am typesetting a piece for a small orchestra. There ares voice for the violas and cellos too. These violas play unisono for the first five pages. Then suddenly they play very different voices. I am reluctant to add a Viola I staff and a viola II staff to the whole score. The composer was it too. But at page six I need a new staff group for the violas.

I've have tried this with the RemoveEmptyStaves engraver similar like this (please ignore the wrong clef for the viola):

\version "2.16.0"
\include "deutsch.ly"

\score {
<<
  \new Staff \relative c'' { \repeat unfold 29 { c8 c c c c c c c } }
  \new StaffGroup <<
\new Staff \relative c'' { c1 c c c c c c c c c c c c c c g8 a h c d c h a } \new Staff \relative c'' { R1 R R R R R R R R R R R R R R c8 h a g f g h c }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves   }

This approach has two drawbacks.
- First I have a staff line with rests at the beginning, where both viola players should play.

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t

- Second I have a measure #15 at the line where they play different melodies. The actual first measure of the line where the different melodies start can not be predicted easily.

I could try to quote the first viola voice in the second to get the correct notes in the first line. But I would prefer to write only one viola line at first page. Further the count of measures could change when I change the paper format.

I could also add a \break before measure #15 to control the lines breaks. But I am looking for a better solution. Is there something like a RemoveIdenticalStaves engraver where I could define which staves may be removed?

If they're almost always playing the same, but there's a little bit where they're duet, could you not set them as different voices on a single stave?

--
Phil Holmes