Instrument switching with a new staff - possible?

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Instrument switching with a new staff - possible?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:47:37 -0800 (PST)

Good afternoon everyone,

I was attempting to engrave this piece today and I've hit a bit of a
roadblock.

Essentially what I'm supposed to do is have the piano break away from it's
"normal" grand staff for many measures (15+).

Then change to a percussion 1-line staff to notate the various percussion
instruments the performer must play as well.  Then return to standard piano
notation.

Is instrument switching possible in Lilypond, with a complete staff-type
change? I know you can add labels and change instruments, but I was unsure
it a total staff change was possible, temporarily, in a score.
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/notation/writing-parts.html

I've done some experiments with instrument switching, but my code doesn't
seem to be working - only making things worse.

Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction please?  Thank you
kindly!

Note: I just used "dummy notes" in this example, for simplicity, so don't
worry much that the notes don't match :) That's not an issue.

Ben

My goal:
(something like this, but ideally the 1-line percussion part would be
centered in the grand staff, instead of up near the RH of the piano - but
that's flexible if need be)
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n141635/Capture.png>

My current code:

\version "2.17.10"