Re: Horns example from blog

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Horns example from blog
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:12:48 -0800

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 02:56:45PM +0100, Janek Warcho?? wrote:

> Yes, it's a nice example and i wouldn't hesitate to post it in that
> discussion.  I don't see it there; would you like me to post it?

Thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, you may post it if you like.  Word the post yourself of
course, but just for context, I'd suggest you enter it as a
'Reply' to Felix Plinio Designori's Feb 21 post citing feature
deficiencies in Sibelius.  It was created explicitly to show how
Lilypond can address his needs, specifically:

"a) the abilty to easily have eg. 2 staves for 4 horns in the
score (http://felixrosch.com/example.png) and still be able to
get 4 entirely different printed parts for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and
4th horn alone.  ?or to have 3 flutes in one stave in the score
(http://felixrosch.com/example.png) and still be able to print 3
different parts, one for each voice.  That would save a lot of
time i think? and/or space in the score."

I think I understood his intent when I read "different" to mean
"separate."

And:

"c) I would love to be able to easily and intuitively have the
instrument names placed in the middle between two or more staves.
eg. with the horn example above I would like to just write ?4
Horns in F? and have it placed automatically between both staves
instead of writing it for both staves seperately. I know, that is
possible in Sibelius already, but its still not as easy to do as
I think it should be."

His item b sounded like a Sibelius bug fix request, so I didn't
try to suss out what he meant.

My example defines the 4 horn parts separately, and the example
tells Lilypond to engrave them first as separate parts (and all
on the same page, since they're small).  Then, with no
double-entry or copying or pasting of the horn parts, Lilypond
can combine them onto two staves, with labeling applied to the
staff group, NOT the individual staves (as Mr. Designori
requires).

Next, it shows Lilypond's automatic transposition of the four
horn parts to bass clef and concert pitch for four trombones,
with all four parts grouped onto a single staff, as Mr. Designori
requires in his flute example.  The arranger chose to swap the
two inner voices, so the 2nd Trombone is playing the 3rd Horn
part, and vice versa.  An optional tenor clef part is provided
for the 1st Trombone.

Both the combined scores and all five of the trombone parts are
derived directly from the horn parts, again with no redundant
copying and pasting nor tedious manual transposition needed.
This means that when the arranger makes changes to the individual
horn parts, Lilypond will automatically apply those changes to
the combined horns score, the individual trombone parts, and the
combined trombones score.  If there were other parts containing
cue notes based on the horn or trombone parts, Lilypond would
also correctly engrave the changed cues.

The example also shows that while Mr. Designori may find it tricky
to do in Sibelius, with Lilypond, labeling a staff group is just
as easy and flexible as labeling a single staff.

The accidentals are as copied from the original poster's example.

Jim