Re: Advocating non-free softwares

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:47:17 +0000 (UTC)

Zenaan Harkness <zen <at> freedbms.net> writes:

> David, thank you so, so much!

Oh, I thought enough bytes had been spilt on this subject already.

IMO, this entire discussion is the result of misreading François's comment.
"It's working well for me in Windows" somehow turned into "advocacy," but... to
advocate for a non-free OS is to say that others *should* use it. The original
comment says nothing of the kind. At the very worst, one could possibly stretch
and suppose that he meant "Well, if you were using Windows, you wouldn't have
encountered that Linux bug," but IMO this is really going out of one's way to
pick a fight. (After all, if that's what he meant, it would invite summaries of
Windows bugs which Linux users don't suffer, and I'd venture that's a longer
list.)

Since it started with a questionable interpretation, maybe we should let the
discussion end? I do appreciate that Lilypond has a stance on free software and
I agree with that stance, but criminy, I'm really tired of list members carping
about other users' choice of working environment.

Basta? Maybe? Don't we have music to write?

hjh