Re: what should I use for a string section score

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: what should I use for a string section score
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:35:43 +0100

Oops,
and now with the example:

global= {

  \time 4/4
  \key c \major
}
violin = \new Voice \relative c'' {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Violin 1 "
  c2 d
  e1
  \bar "|."
}

viola = \new Voice \relative c' {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Viola "
  \clef alto
  e2 d
  c1
  \bar "|."
}
cello = \new Voice \relative c' {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Cello "
  \clef tenor
  c2 b
  a1
  \bar "|."
}
bass = \new Voice \relative c {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Bass "
  \clef bass
  c2 b
  a1
  \bar "|."
}
\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff << \global \violin >>
    \new Staff << \global \viola >>
    \new Staff << \global \cello >>
    \new Staff << \global \bass >>

  \layout { }
  \midi { }
}

Am 01.03.2013 19:32, schrieb Urs Liska:
I'm still not 100% sure if I understand you fully.

Is it correct that you found the template here: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/string-quartet
And that you could use it except for the wrong instruments?

Then you have very little to do: just change the instrument names (and possibly the clefs).
Below I have updated the template for your instrumentation (didn't take any care of the notes).

The words 'violinOne' etc. in front of the '=' signs are just _names_. For LilyPond they don't mean anything, they are only names that you can reference later. In the templates you have a section 'violinOne = ...' and later in the \score block a '\violinOne', which tells LilyPond to use the music defined in the aforementioned section. You can simply replace 'violinTwo' by 'viola' and '\violinTwo' by '\viola' and you have a viola part.

Then you have the '\set Staff.instrumentName = ' clauses. Just update them accordingly and you have the right instrument name in front of the first system.

I hope that helps to clarify these steps for you.

Best
Urs

PS: Make sure you reply also to address@hidden (I forwarded this email already). So everybody gets your reply - which will dramatically increase the chance of getting more help ;-)