Re: spanners not showing up

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: spanners not showing up
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:20:25 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Orm Finnendahl" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 7:07 PM
Subject: spanners not showing up

Hi,

sorry, if that has been discussed before.

In the following example, there are two glissandos with an end arrow
between each f and g, but only the second one is showing up. This is
obviously due to lilypond's spacing decisions, not leaving enough
space for the first gliss sign (see attached png):

\version "2.14.2"

\relative c' {
 \time 6/4
     f'4 \glissando g4
f2 \glissando g2 }

\layout {
\context { \Voice
   \override Glissando #'(bound-details right arrow) = ##t
   \override Glissando #'arrow-length = #0.5
   \override Glissando #'arrow-width = #0.25

My questions:
1.: Is there a direct way to enforce lilypond to always print those
   signs and adjust its spacing accordingly (I'm aware that I could
   use a hidden second voice with eigth notes to enforce more
   horizontal space, but to me this seems more like a rather
   inelegant workaround than a solution)?

2.: Would it be possible to at least inform the user about the
   suppressed grob by printing a warning in the compilation buffer?

--
Orm

Checkout glissando on:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/spanners