Re: Footnotes to lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Footnotes to lyrics
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 22:28:08 +0100

wjm <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings David,
> I have fiddled a bit with your code
> \score {
>   { c'4 c' c' c' }
>   \addlyrics
>   { \footnote #'(-2 . -2) \markup "text"
>     \markup Mu- sic is nice }
> }
>
> and have come up with this:-
>
> \version "2.17.12"
> music = \relative c'
> {
>   c d e g
>   f g g a
>   b c2.
> }
> words = \lyricmode {
> \footnote #'(-0.1 . 0.0000001) \markup "Brewed, not 'manufactured'!"
> %If the second value is set to 0 the footnote marker is centred
> %vertically on the line of lyrics. ie 1 B...
> %I haven't found a value which will set it between there and where it
> %is now.
>
>   Beer- is quite nice but whis -- ky is bet -- ter!
> %This works, but removing the - makes an error

\markup Beer

Yes, sorry for that.

> Evidently the - immediately following the first syllable is necessary
> but the reason for it is not obvious.

It can only be a symbol if it consists of just letters, possibly
separated by single - or _.  A - at the end makes sure that it is
lyrics, and not a specification of a Grob (like LyricText).

Yes, that's somewhat stupid.  Lyrics and proper symbols and/or strings
are hard to tell apart for music functions.

--
David Kastrup