Re: Hushing up Sibelius news?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Hushing up Sibelius news?
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:45:19 +0100

Am 02.03.2013 19:41, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
On 03/02/2013 06:43 PM, Jethro Van Thuyne wrote:
"Renewed copyright 1952 by Helene Berg". How long did/does such a renewal run?

Well, this is the discussion on the subject on IMSLP's forums:
http://imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3503

I believe that typical terms of copyright renewal were for 28 years:
http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/copyright-renewal.html

... with 1952 corresponding to the appropriate date for the 1924 publication of the UE edition. But there might be some complications down to the fact that the original 1920 publication was outside the US.

My personal understanding (but I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice:-) is that it boils down to this:

    -- The work was first published outside the US in 1920

    -- The work clearly enjoyed 2 full terms of copyright protection
       in the US (testified to by the copyright renewal);

-- So, the work _should_ fall under the no-copyright-for-pre-1920-works
       rule, and wouldn't be eligible for copyright restoration because
       it did enjoy a full term of copyright protection in the US.

The fact that IMSLP haven't received a takedown notice obviously should not be read too deeply into, but it's unlikely this would have been tolerated if Universal Edition had a case to make. There is also now a Henle Urtext edition, which there most likely would not be if the 4 Pieces were still in copyright.