Re: divisi parts and another general question

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: Re: divisi parts and another general question
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 03:21:57 +0100

Hello list, hello Sarah,

You wrote:

> Ok. it looks like the viola part  needs to be device as these double
> stops are not fun. here it is with the notes and cords with out taking
> the divisi  in to consideration.
>
> { c aes,  g  ees |
> ees f <des ees> <c ees> | }

The first note has to be g instead of c, because c is in the violin 2,
and not playing the g in viola You would be missing it.

The second note has to be "aes" instead of "aes," in relative mode,
because "aes," and all the following notes would sound one octave lower.

> so would I have to imply the double less then sign at the top  to
> indicate the divisi and the double back slash method for this? so it
> would be something like
>
> <<
> { c aes,  g  ees |
> ees f {des ees} {c ees} | \\}

First: I don't understand the double back slash here.

Second: {des ees} ?? This would not sound at the same time.
        If You want des and ees sound at the same time, it's necessary
        to put in into <> e. g. <des ees>

> single note safer that? Actually I won't be getting out of that divisi
> for a while it looks like. so would I have to switch to then voice 1
> and voice 2? if so that will be annoying. lol!

The double back slash method is good for short divisi, that's right, and
for longer it's better usind voice 1 and voice 2.

In my opinion there are not enough need for divisi in the viola, so I'd
always take the double back slash methode there.

Best Regards           Roland