Re: Adrian le Roy

From: Fulvio Turra
Subject: Re: Adrian le Roy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:28:02 +0100

Just a few basic indications

a = 0 open string
b = 1 first fret
c = 2 second fret ... and so on

Dashed line: note duration

The 4 double strings renaissance guitar had the same relationships of the top 4 strings of a modern guitar (E B G D). If you see bar one, we have a D major chord there (from top to bottom: F# D A D).

I took this information from a book by italian guitar player and scholar Bruno Tonazzi but I guess you could find all you need to know with a simple google search.
Best regards

2013/3/4 Johan Vromans <address@hidden>
pabuhr <address@hidden> writes:

>   http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/192332
>   Tiers Livre de Tabvlatvre de Gviterre 1552
>
> Whoa!!! Can someone explain this musical notation to me? Is it for a lute?

My guess: it's for a 4 string instrument. The letters denote the fret
positions (a = 1, b = 2, "dash o" = 0, nothing = not played). The
duration is above: 1 flag = half, 2 flags = quarter, etc.)

When I assumed a tuning similar to the top 4 strings of a guitar, most
of the chords make sense.

But I could be totally wrong!

-- Johan