Re: final score

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: final score
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:48:48 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/3/4 Christ van Willegen <address@hidden>:
>> Hi Francisco,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Francisco Vila
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I don't remember what the problem is about Frescobaldi on MacOS. All I
>>> can say that is directly related to this is:
>>
>> Well, AFAIK (and I think I checked last week...) Frescobaldi does not
>> have an 'easy install' for Mac OS-X. It is: Install this, and this
>> (rom source) and mind that this is the correct version, and _then_....
>
> In GNU/Linux it is a small nightmare to install. In Windows it is a
> matter of next-next-next-done. I'd like to change this if I only knew
> how to. The released lilypond binary is a model, I think. Single file,
> all dependencies built-in. Somebody should tell Wilbert. And MacOS is
> more urgent than GNU/Linux because the wider user base.

"wider user base" is only relevant in relation to the "wider developer
base" it causes in the long run, where "developer base" includes
everything and everybody producing actual commits.

GNU/Linux is more important in that regard since it is pretty much our
_only_ development platform.  Even for people otherwise at home on other
operating systems.  So it is doubly important that we don't have
stumbling blocks requiring experienced users of GNU/Linux there.

Now it is true that I likely don't have a good clue about the role of
Frescobaldi in this universe.

--
David Kastrup