Re: Aligning lyrics between rests

From: Kevin Zembower
Subject: Re: Aligning lyrics between rests
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 20:19:29 -0500

On Sun, 2013-03-03 at 17:03 -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 23:03:07 +0100
> From: Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
> To: Kevin Zembower <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Aligning lyrics between rests
>
> 2013/3/3 Kevin Zembower <address@hidden>:
> > Any thoughts on this question?
> >
> > I thought that there was a command that could 'detach' a section of
> > lyrics from the music for a specified time.
>
> I'm not aware of sth like that.
>
> You could try:

Your suggestion was just what I was looking for. Thanks so much. I also
added some additional space, and offset the lines so they wouldn't run
directly into the other lyrics. My final example is pasted in at the
end, in case anyone's curious.

> BTW,
> why do you use this outdated version?

This is the version that's packaged with Debian version 6.0.7. I try to
stay with the packaged versions to simplify my system administration
chores. I didn't think I would need any advanced, recent features of
Lilypond.

Thanks, again, for all your help.

-Kevin

\version "2.12.3"
\include "english.ly"           %Use English notation

\header {
        title = "Gloria"
}

melodytwo = \relative c'' {
        \key g \major           % fs
        r2 r4 g4 | a4 a2 a4 | fs2. fs4 | g4 g2 a4 |
        b2. r4 | r1 |

        r2 r4 g4 | a2 a2 | fs2. fs4 | g2 a2 |
        b2. r4 | r1 |

        r2 r4 g4 | a4 a2 a4 | fs2. fs4 | g4 g fs2 |
        e2. r4 |
}

texttwo = \lyricmode {
        Have | mer -- cy on | us, have | mer -- cy on
        \once \override LyricText  #'self-alignment-X = #-0.96
        \markup { us. \hspace #3 \raise #1
                \column { "You take away the sins"
                                                        \line { "of the world,"
}
        } \hspace #3
                                        }
        re -- | ceive our | prayer, re -- | ceive our
        \once \override LyricText  #'self-alignment-X = #-0.8
        \markup { prayer. \hspace #3 \raise #1
                \column { "You are seated at the"
                \line { "right hand of the Father,"}
                } \hspace #3
                                        }
        have | mer -- cy on | us, have | mer -- cy on | us.
}

\score{
        <<
                \new Voice = "two" { \melodytwo }