Re: Bar lines

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 23:24:15 +0100

Marc,

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 06.03.2013 17:47, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
>> i was very surprised by Marc's suggestion to revert his barline
>> interface commit.  I'm pretty sure that everyone regards Marc's (and
>> Harm's) work in this area as very valuable and noone thinks of
>> deleting it at all!
>
> I am a bit disappointed that the discussion about \bar ":|."
> rises half a year after the patch went through the revision
> process.

I'm sorry that you are disappointed.
I think that the discussion about replacing "." is really quite
orthogonal to your barline interface.
I also have an impression that when your patch was reviewed, we
decided to postpone the discussion about the "." character because it
could be discussed later with no harm to your patch.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:
>> As I mentioned elsewhere, I seldom use the repeat sign explicitely, I
>> try to get along with \repeat volta. Moreover, I find it very annoying
>> to end every piece with an explicit \bar "|." I'd like to see that
>> lilypond ends a piece with "|." by default – in the rare cases where I
>> need a different ending bar line, I would code \bar "|" or \bar "||"
>> or whatever.
>
> I am not sure this would not be even more annoying when doing music
> theory texts with lilypond-book.

Similarly to Marc i'd very much like to see LilyPond automatically end
pieces with final barline.
I understand David's concern, but i think that it can be quite easily
addressed.  For example, we could have a "final-barline" property that
the user could override in a style-sheet.  We could also implement
some guessing: if the music is more than 1 system long, it should have
a final barline, and if it's not, it should end with regular barline.
I think that's pretty simple but yet should cover vast majority of
cases.

best,
Janek