Re: Bar lines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 23:56:31 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:
>>> As I mentioned elsewhere, I seldom use the repeat sign explicitely, I
>>> try to get along with \repeat volta. Moreover, I find it very annoying
>>> to end every piece with an explicit \bar "|." I'd like to see that
>>> lilypond ends a piece with "|." by default – in the rare cases where I
>>> need a different ending bar line, I would code \bar "|" or \bar "||"
>>> or whatever.
>>
>> I am not sure this would not be even more annoying when doing music
>> theory texts with lilypond-book.
>
> Similarly to Marc i'd very much like to see LilyPond automatically end
> pieces with final barline.

No question about that: of course I'd also always like LilyPond to do
the right thing by itself.  But if it is impossible for LilyPond to
guess the right thing, it should not get in the way of _me_ doing the
right thing.

> I understand David's concern, but i think that it can be quite easily
> addressed.  For example, we could have a "final-barline" property that
> the user could override in a style-sheet.

What's a style sheet?

> We could also implement some guessing: if the music is more than 1
> system long, it should have a final barline, and if it's not, it
> should end with regular barline.

That's totally awful since it is utterly unpredictable.  It is
_LilyPond's_ choice whether it can fit something on one or two systems,
and the kind of barline to use at the end should not depend on the paper
size.

> I think that's pretty simple but yet should cover vast majority of
> cases.

If we can't predict when it is right or wrong, being right 90% of the
time is worth nothing.

--
David Kastrup