Re: Bar lines

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:16:52 +0100

Am 06.03.2013 21:55, schrieb Noeck:
Hi,

It is orthogonal to us making \bar "|:" and \bar ":|" well-defined by
letting : automatically imply a thick bar since nothing else makes
sense.
I don't think that this is the problem Joram struggled with.
So he is defining a bar type "|:" himself.
Yes, it was not my problem. I could have chosen any other here.

If the majority of users and developers think that explicitly using
the dot "." for a thick bar line is suboptimal, then

cced43289cf170305e6e6517180659a1c4fa91db

should never have happened. Feel free to revert it.
I think this new bar line interface is a very good and clever feature!

The dot would not have been my first guess (that would have been "_").
But after I read the barline docs (like \bar "|."), I concluded that "."
is the thick bar line – and with your commit this is more consistently true.
The dot is here for historical reasons. There was a short and lively
discussion about it – afterwards the decision was postponed until now ;-)

My thoughts to that:
a) A really short or intuitive syntax would be |: a1 :|
but that is not possible or has other input problems.
b) In the present case (the bar line is entered with the command \bar),
it is better to have consistency, so I like ".|:" more than "|:".
As the latter is currently not defined, it could be an alias for the
former, but I don't see the necessity.
c) If there are more intuitive symbols – which is a matter of personal
choice – the dot could be exchanged. The following characters come to my
mind:
  . like full stop, like end of something (dot could be used for dotted)
Some people seem to interpret the dot this way, but in case
of ".|:" this is counterintuitive.
  _ wide character like a wide/thick barline
Hmm – the orientation is not correct, but \bar "_|:" looks better
than \bar ".|:".
  ] similar to | but wider look and looks like closing, like end
We have already \bar "[|:" and ":|]" defined but with a different meaning
(just give it a try ;-)
  I similar to | but wider look
Yep but it depends on the font in your editor of choice whether this looks
acceptable or not.
(Btw, I would have chosen § for S.)
IIRC, '§' is not easily available on all keyboard layouts, but I thought of using
'§' or '$' before.
But in the end, the user has to look them up and learn, so it does not
matter too much.

     …
     * Annotations for barlines can be added to distinguish between two
identical
       apperance or span bar lines.
That part you did not explain in your very helpful example. If you don't
mind, I would be interested how this can be achieved. Say, I want bar
line variants of "||" with and with and without span-bar-lines.
In scm/bar-line.scm, you'll find some examples near the end of this file.

Currently, we have two variants of opening repeat bar lines:

".|:" draws the repeat sign at the beginning or in the middle of a line, and a simple "|" if located at the end of a line. With ".|:-||", you'll get "||" at the end of the line
instead.

The annotation itself starts with "-" and is not interpreted at all in terms of the following glyphs, so you can define

\definebarLine "|-myNormalBarLineWithDottedSpanBar" '("" "|" ";")

and use it like this:

c1 \bar "|-myNormalBarLineWithDottedSpanBar" c1

in your score.

HTH,

Marc