Re: Bar lines

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 18:05:03 +0100

Am 07.03.2013 17:56, schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

Am 07.03.2013 10:06, schrieb David Kastrup:
[...]
Ok, here is the deal: I promise to give real thought about a way to
_define_ repeat structures in such a straightforward manner that a user
would understand how to create repeat structures of his own including
working Midi and \expandRepeats as long as he can hack together the
glyphs for the _looks_.

And you promise think about how the barline definition interface might
be made more friendly when in-line recipe and call string are not forced
to be the same, and how more complex recipes might benefit from not
being string-only.  I can also imagine recipes/definitions like

(define-bar-type "|:"
    ".|:" :prebreak "|" :postbreak ".|:" :spanbar ("xxx" "yyy"))
Ok, sounds like a good deal ;-)

What exactly do you mean by :spanbar ("xxx" "yyy")?
I have absolutely no idea.
Hehe.
  I was just throwing out possible Scheme
syntax elements that could be used in such an interface, probably based
on define*-public (which parses keywords argument like above).
I wasn't aware of define*-public. I have to inverstigate ...

("xxx" "yyy") without quoting the list is likely a bad idea since it
would require define-bar-type to be a macro, and that's probably
uncalled for.  But probably keyword arguments with single strings will
work well enough.
Yes. So you propose we use the glyph stacking mechanism
of the current interface and have a user-friendly layer that
allows for giving that bar-line set an arbitrary name?

Phew, looks like some work to do...

As Janek pointed out some months ago, he wanted to be able
to define separate span-bar types on-the-fly, so we probably
should end up with something like

(define-bar-type "|:"
    ".|:" :prebreak "|" :postbreak ".|:"
    :spanbar ".|" :spanbar-prebreak "|" :spanbar-postbreak ".|")

?
Looks reasonable.  The keyword arguments are a mouthful to type, but I
think they make things quite more readable.
Yes. I don't think that users will generate myriads of bar lines, and
I'd prefer having to type some more letters to getting the
arguments into the correct order:

is way shorter, but less obvious.

Marc