Re: Repeating stanza numbers

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Repeating stanza numbers
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:22:11 -0500

    Matthew> shortVocalName'.  You may not like the position of the
    Matthew> numbers though (outside the left of the staff).
    >>
    >> I don't.  Is there a workaround?

    Matthew> As I said in a message posted very shortly after the one
    Matthew> you quoted, it can be changed with an X-offset in the
    Matthew> layout; e.g.  \override InstrumentName #'X-offset = #3

This does indeed change it.  Unfortunately, it changes not only the
offset but the justification.  If I have stanza numbers like "1.",
"2."..."16.", I want the "."s to be aligned, not the first figure.  This is
what shortVocalName does without the X-offset override, but with it, it
aligns the first digit.  Is there a workaround for this?

    >> I'm setting some stuff from the Ravenscroft psalter (first try
    >> <http://serpentpublications.org/wordpress/?page_id=20&id=777>), and some
    >> of the psalms have *lots* of verses.

    Matthew> I didn't bother with shortVocalName when doing a lilypond
    Matthew> version of Farnaby's Ps 122 from that, but it is only three
    Matthew> stanzas :).

I don't bother with it for three stanzas, either, but when there are
more than 4 or 5 stanzas, it's really helpful.

To clarify, my \layout section looks like:

          \context { \Lyrics
                     \override InstrumentName #'font-size = #0
                     \override InstrumentName #'font-series = #'bold
%                    \override InstrumentName #'X-offset = #0
                   }

If I comment out the X-offset, I get stanza numbers on the second system
that are in the wrong x position.  If I don't comment it out, they're
roughly in the right position (your suggested #3 value works well for
single-digit stanza numbers, but not for the two-digit ones), but with
the wrong alignment.

stz really did used to do the right thing.

You can see my current best effort (X-offset of #0) at
<http://serpentpublications.org/music/ravenscroft/place/allparts.pdf>.
As you see, the second system shortVocalName's do not align as well with
the lyrics as the first system stanza's.

If someone who understands this better than I do agrees with me that
this is a bug, I'll be happy to write up a real bug report, especially
if you tell me what feature of lilypond to report the bug against.  I've
put a lot of effort into writing up bugs recently (both here and on
emacs24) that got categorized as "not a bug" when the real category is
"too hard to fix".  I assume there's a reason why stz went away, and
maybe it's because what stanza does with stanza numbers is really hard
to do on the second system.  Although I don't see why it should be.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Meek young men grow up in libraries, believing it their duty to accept
the views which Cicero, which Locke, which Bacon, have given,
forgetful that Cicero, Locke and Bacon were only young men in
libraries when they wrote these books.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, address to Harvard's Phi Beta Kappa Society on
August 31, 1837