Re: Bar lines

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 19:07:29 +0100

Am 07.03.2013 18:56, schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

Am 07.03.2013 18:45, schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

Am 07.03.2013 18:36, schrieb David Kastrup:
Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

We use "|." for the end bar not because of its _visual_ properties,
If that is the case, I would say \bar "." is more logical.
Zounds.  Tell you what: I'd consider that an actual improvement.
No – I still would prefer if LilyPond draws the final bar line without
having
to explicitely tell her.
Take a look at
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/writing-pitches>

I really would not like to have to tell LilyPond for every single
fragment to not use a final bar line.
Ok, I get the point, but still – what's wrong with an appropriate
override, say

fragment = \override Score.finarBarType = "|"

and then

\fragment
\relative c'' {
   c2 fis
   c2 ges
   b2 eisis
   b2 feses
}

?
And clutter up the manual with all the printed mysterious instances of
\fragment?
If \fragment were available in the source code of lilypond and
included perhaps some more style decisions suitable for
fragments in contrast to full pieces – why not?

I really would not like to have to tell LilyPond for every piece I
write to end it with a final bar line ;-)
A piece has one final bar line.  A music theory text has thousands of
fragments without final bar line.
Ok, but this depends on what you write more often – from my
rather selfish point of view, I *never* wrote a music theory text
with LilyPond, but at least a couple of pieces.  (not thousands yet,
but still growing ...)