Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:10:04 -0800

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 12:37:55AM +0100, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

> >>The idea is that \relative { ... } (namely \relative used without an
> >>explicit reference pitch) uses the first note inside as the reference
> >>pitch.  That is, if the first note happens to be written as fis'' it
> >>will sound as fis'' (absolute pitch).
>
> I wouldn't mind, if I can still use the the old syntax, which is
> what I prefer, and if the documentation clearly explains these two
> ways of usage. I think the old syntax is easier for me when I want
> to copy/paste notes.

I don't think the documentation *can* clearly explain the proposed
way of usage.

"""If you do not add an explicit pitch, the first note within the
{} is interpreted as an absolute note, while the following notes
within {} are interpreted as relative notes."""

ok, the English grammar is not hard, but the concept is
unnecessarily complicated.

- Graham