Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 06:42:26 +0100

Colin Hall <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>> Please take a look at
>>
>> Issue 3229: Patch: Make \relative { ... } interpret the first pitch as
>> an absolute one
>>
>> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3229>
>>
>> How do people feel about this?
>
> The \relative feature works just fine.
>
> My preference is to leave \relative as it is.

Well, it is pretty much left as it is (except when not given a starting
pitch), so it would not stop working fine.  We'd "just" suggest a few
thousand times that people prefer a certain way of letting it work fine,
one that is somewhat less arbitrary than the currently available choices
and thus reasonably deserves being made the default argument behavior.

I don't think that people would mind much about _that_ (and Kieren gets
a convert-ly rule so that he does not need to remember doing this change
himself).  And it might make sense to commit the "\relative { ... ->
\relative c' { ..." and "\relative x' { y' ... -> \relative { y'' ..."
rules to different versions of LilyPond, so that people may choose to
only use the first conversion on their personal files (which is
necessary to preserve meaning of previous \relative { ... uses).

--
David Kastrup