Re: midi micro tuning / Midi calibration

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: midi micro tuning / Midi calibration
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:43:37 +0100

Hi Arthur & Timothy,

> You've brought up a good question.  Sounds like you may do "Early Music",
> too.

Thanks! Although I have to admit, that my music only goes as early as
the Swing Era - Big Bands usually are tuned to 442 as it fits the brass
better. I'm merely looking for a way to avoid tuning my double bass if I
want to use midi-practice-files.

> Midi, itself, is tuned in 440 and equal.  However, there's a function
> known as "pitch bend" in midi parlance,  that works on some, but not all,
> midi instruments.  There are many midi editors out there (do a search),
> and I just installed a good one in Linux but haven't had a chance to test
> it for pitch bend.  However, what you can get depends a lot  on what kind
> of operating system you're using.

I was sort of amazed - Midi being such a simple (so I imagined) format,
I thought that the calibration to 440 should be a mere variable, easy to
be adjusted. There's always more to it than it seems ...

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Timothy Reeves wrote:
> ...and if those don't do it, Audacity certainly will, once you've
> converted
> the midi file to an audio file.

That's an excellent idea, actually, thank you! Ultimately, I will need
the music as mp3 anyway, for my stereo to play it.
I didn't know Audacity could import Midi - I'll try that out asap (i.e.
next week, sigh).

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions!
Best,
Robert