Re: A plea for a documentation change ... Just a tiny one

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: A plea for a documentation change ... Just a tiny one
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 00:01:57 +0000

Guy Stalnaker writes:

> I've just spent an entire evening trying to figure out how to add some
> lyric text to one voice of a three-measure two-voice section of a score.

Thanks for contacting us about this, Guy, and for the thorough-going
report. Your suggestion for a change to the docs seems sound.

It can be very frustrating, trying to find your way around the lilypond
docs. You might find the following visual index useful, a recent piece
of work by Joram:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-01/msg00916.html

Urs Liska replied to your post (thanks, Urs) to point out that we take
bug reports against the documentation on the bug-lilypond mailing list
in a concise format known as "Documentation Suggestions". See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/documentation-suggestions

The idea is that you, the reporter, are the person who has the best
understanding of the problem right now, so we ask you to tell us what to
add to the docs. Otherwise, a doc author has to figure it out, sometime
in the future, and we want the authors to focus on updating docs, not
figuring out problems.

Nick Payne recently made a very nice job of one of these doc suggestion
things:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-03/msg00033.html

And here is another good example:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-02/msg00046.html

If you adapt the text of your original post into that format, we'll
create a tracker and get it onto the work list. Send it to bug-lilypond
or just reply to this and one of us will forward it to bug-lilypond for
you.

Cheers,
Colin.

--