Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 00:20:38 -0500

Greetings All,
     In truth, I am quite satisfied with the current state of
\relative, whether with or without an absolute pitch indicated before
the braces. And yes, I do understand that, though users are at present
discouraged from using the latter, both

\relative c' { MUSIC } and \relative { MUSIC }

yield the same result. But why, after all, is the latter meant to be
deprecated? Do not the docs, in explaining the placement of pitch `c',
use middle C as a point of reference - as in, an octave below middle
C? And so, if the proposed change is implemented, my mental process of
assigning or interpreting

\relative fis'' { MUSIC } or \relative { fis'' MORE MUSIC }

invariably remains the same - that is, calculate the placement of said
pitch located two octaves and a raised fourth above the C which is one
octave below middle C. (This is why the deprecated syntax is so
useful; it is more direct, eliminating a step in the calculation.)
     I also share and echo reservations about mixing the purpose of
commas and apostrophes within the \relative braces themselves. This
may be a subtle distinction, but I cannot agree that, in the case of

\relative { fis'' MORE MUSIC }

that `fis''' is an absolute pitch. Yes, its placement is firmly
established, but only as it is *relative* to `c'. In which case, why
not leave the \relative situation as currently is, where the one true
absolute pitch of `c' (which, incidentally, is as arbitrary as any
other pitch) is invoked as a function of calling \relative in the
first place and is then used immediately - that is, before the braces
- in establishing a different reference point as desired by the user?
Hwaen Ch'uqi