RE: Turn placed between notes

From: Mark Stephen Mrotek
Subject: RE: Turn placed between notes
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 04:11:31 -0800

Nick,

"Creating a delayed turn" is at
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/expressive-marks.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of
Nick Payne
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 10:02 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: Turn placed between notes

See attached graphic. Quite a number of these in the score (Brahms Sextet Op
18). At the moment I'm creating them like so:

\version "2.17.13"

\relative f'' {
   f4.^\markup { \halign #-3.5 { \musicglyph #"scripts.turn" } } g16 a | }

but with the value of halign hard coded, with differing note values and bar
spacing, I have to fiddle with the value of halign each time to get the turn
centred between the notes. Is there a more automated way of positioning the
turn? Lilypond seems to assume that turns should be placed directly above a
note, but that is often not the case.

Nick