Re: Excellent paper on 'Copyfraud'

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Excellent paper on 'Copyfraud'
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 15:43:37 +0100

Am 09.03.2013 15:25, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Am 09.03.2013 12:50, schrieb David Kastrup:
james <address@hidden> writes:

On Mar 8, 2013, at 6:33 PM, Tim Slattery wrote:

Mike Blackstock <address@hidden> wrote:

This paper might be of interest to anyone typesetting public domain
music from so-called copyrighted scores:
Excellent article, even if it is 7 years old.

I'm in a singing group. We sing madrigals and some baroque pieces, all
several hundred years old. I see books all the time with copyright
notices all over the place on songs that were written 300 to 500 years
ago. I wonder just what is under copyright? Words and music certainly
are not. Any foreword, biographical material, commentary certainly is.

If the editor went to an old source, transcribed the piece into more
modern notation, added measures, key signature, time signature, does
that make the product copyrightable? If I make a copy with Lilypond,
is that infringement? Since I've produced sheet music for a public
domain work, I don't think so.
It's exactly these things: articulations, editorial annotations,
expressive marks, that are under frequently copyright.
Also the actual image.  It's probably safest to start from an "Urtext".
Now those go to a lot of pain to create a canonical version from
possibly conflicting manuscripts, and that is a lot of work, too.  But
it's not creative expression and thus should not be copyrightable
content.
I think such editorial work _is_ as much scholarly work as one that is
expressed in words and sentences.
It definitely _is_ scholarly work, yes.  But that does not make it
protected.  We have
<URL:http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urheberrecht#Erfordernis_der_Originalit.C3.A4t>

Also see
<URL:http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Bundesgerichtshof_-_Apfel-Madonna>
The German copyright Act defines a) scholarly editions and b) first editions as a "Verwandtes Schutzrecht" which is a right on the same level as the original copyright.
http://dejure.org/gesetze/UrhG/70.html
http://dejure.org/gesetze/UrhG/71.html
It is _not_ creative in the sense of artistic creation and as the
original musical work that is edited. But scientific intellectual
achievement is as much copyrightable as artistic achievements.
Not really.  A scientific paper may be copyrightable as such, but the
scientific content of it isn't.  Do you think that Einstein's heirs can
prohibit any unlicensed application of special relativity for decades to
come?  No.  They still can prohibit unlicensed reproduction of his
original articles, however.
Hm, interesting point.
Therefore in Germany (I don't know where else this applies) you can
register' a scholarly edition of a work otherwise out of copyright.
Most certainly.  But if someone uses this scholarly edition for
reproducing the _contents_ of an existing manuscript (a good scholarly
edition should make that feasible), that's out of the league of
copyright.

If this claim gets approved (it will be checked whether the edition
adheres to scholarly standards and is substantially different from
existing editions) you will hold the performing rights and copyright
for this edition for 25 years.  Of course this doesn't give you any
copyright on the original composition.
And if the scholarly edition is a proper scholarly edition, it will be
possible to extract _just_ the contents of the original composition.

Of course, but is that really what we are talking about?
If you are basing your own scholarly work on it (and what would it be else if you go through the pain of such an extraction), then it's ok. But I consider such an editorial copyright a valid protection of the editor's work in that it prohibits the unlicensed copying or redistribution of the scores and enables the editor to earn some money from the plain _use_ of the edition (i.e. someone performs from the edition).

But to get back to the origin of the thread: Also this copyright expires after 25 years and then the edition falls in the public domain and can be copied freely.

Urs