Re: \relative is not the best way of entering complicated music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: \relative is not the best way of entering complicated music
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 14:23:10 -0400

Hi David (et al.),

> a) you can stay with your current usage easily enough

Excellent!

> b) letting convert-ly change all of your existing files without explicit
>   instruction would seem inappropriate

+1

> c) in \relative { c'' ..., the pitch might not actually be c''.  If you
>   are wired to the reference pitch c'', having to think about whether
>   you need to write \relative { a' } or \relative { a'' } instead of
>   \relative c'' { a } might be unaccustomed.

I should have been more clear: The c'' in that example was simply an example,
as I [now] always use \relative x' { x' ... }, where x' is the absolute note I
want to appear first in the output.

> in the case of the old \relative { ... } usage which might
> still be found in some files (I think you mentioned that you still have them)

Yes, I have many. I am slowly converting them all, as I piece-meal "modernize"
my scores: those with \relative { ... } are all v2.9 and earlier, so there are
lots of other changes I'm making to the code, including taking advantage of
newer Lily-powers, and applying lessons learned in the last 8 versions worth of
years (e.g., one measure per code line, use bar checks, etc.).

> I quite value your opinion as a heavy-duty LilyPond user

I do believe I am pushing the boundaries nearly as far as anyone else (an
obvious exception being Trevor B).
Glad to know that my time in the trenches is both valued and helpful to the
cause!

Best regards,
Kieren.