Re: Idle curiousity about ancient Lily-lore

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Idle curiousity about ancient Lily-lore
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:16:12 +0000

On 10/03/2013 17:35, David Kastrup wrote:
I have a hard time imagining what you'd be writing after \relative if
you can't even remember the name of middle C.

Without knowing at least_one_  absolute pitch, anchoring \relative will
be a challenge.
I simply crib the start of everything from previous pieces. And I think my standard start snippet is something like "\transpose c c \relative bf {" - now how do you know I'm a brass player in the bass clef :-) And if the transpose looks odd it's because I play both concert and Bf.

Actually, come to mention it, I do remember middle C being c', and it's always felt odd to me. It's the first note with an ', no? So my standard range is the notes with neither , nor ', and remembering where it changes isn't a priority for me seeing as I almost never use absolute pitches :-)

Cheers,
Wol