How to calculate full-measure rests? Stumped. (triple meter?)

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: How to calculate full-measure rests? Stumped. (triple meter?)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:09:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm stumped.  I've read the documentation (back when I was using 2.14 I
remember I wondered this same thing)
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#full-measure-rests

But, how do you get full measure rests to show up?  I seem to only get them
to work using "R1" if the meter is 4/4, etc.

But 3/4 time and other variants show incorrectly when I render/engrave.
Please see the GIF attached.
I am certain that I am using the incorrect syntax but I can't for the life
of me figure out what the error is.

Triple_Meter_full_measure.gif
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n142558/Triple_Meter_full_measure.gif>

Can someone please help me understand how to calculate full measure rests,
depending on meter?

Thank you kindly,

Ben

-----