Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relati

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relative block using @-sign
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:29:46 -0400

Hi,

> I feel that the original proposal, as specified elsewhere, violates the
> principle of least surprise for existing users starting new projects (not
> using convert-ly) with the new LilyPond.

I'm not sure I understand why that's true… As I understand the proposal,

    \relative { c''' d e f }

would come out as a rising step-wise scale, starting on c''' — which is not in
the least surprising to me.

Please explain how it's surprising, or how I am perhaps misunderstanding the
original proposal.

Thanks,
Kieren.

p.s. In the end, I'll almost certainly still stick with the
emminently-obvious/logical [to me]
    \relative c''' { c d e f }