Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relati

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relative block using @-sign
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:28:35 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The main problematic time will be when they are using an older version
> of LilyPond while consulting examples and online documentation for a
> newer one.  That can lead to befuddlement of more than just a few
> minutes, and this is not exactly unheard of.  If we want to clamp down
> on the impact of that time window, we can make the change rather
> silently at first: \relative without reference pitch has not been
> given much exposure in the last few years.  If we change its behavior
> and don't give it much publicity, few people will notice and/or
> actually use it.

This would look somewhat like
Tracker issue: 3245 (http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3245)
Rietveld issue: 7518047 (http://codereview.appspot.com/7518047)
Issue description:
  Make \relative { ... } interpret the first pitch as an absolute one
  The previous default of \relative { ... } being \relative c' { ... }
  made c' more special than warranted.  Having to write \relative f {
  ... } for this functionality seems awkward since f serves no musical
  function but just happens to be the middle of the scale.  Iff the
  scale is the standard scale.  The new definition of \relative takes
  care to determine the "middle of the scale" reference point properly
  even in the case of non-standard scales.  Also contains  Document
  \relative { ... } behavior   And it is currently rebased on the code
  for issue 3231 to make it testable.  Once issue 3231 passes into
  master, this patch will get reduced in size.

--
David Kastrup