Re: Pseudo-handwritten font

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 00:29:32 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Am 2013-03-15 um 10:06 schrieb TaoCG:

This is all very interesting, I'd love to have a jazz style font in LilyPond,
though I don't particularly like the Sigler Jazz font. I much prefer their
Swing font.
I was still wondering if there won't be any license issues if the font is
redrawn manually since in the end everyone familiar with the Sigler fonts
will recognize it as such or some might even say: "Hey look, they're using
the same jazz font as Finale/Sibelius."

No, the look of a font isn’t copyrighted, but the name is sometimes a trademark - that’s why a lot of lookalikes exist whose names point to the original, like "Zurich" or "Swiss" for "Helvetica".

When you compare these fonts closely, you will see they are lookalikes, but there are small differences. It's not only the name of the font that is copyrighted. But just like with music-copyright it's not always easy to tell when a font is "inspired by ..." or "stolen from ...".

--

MT