Re: roling cords

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: roling cords
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 23:24:28 -0400

If it is a Chopin piece simply rolling a large chord would not be
inappropriate. Rolling chords was probably a much more common practice
in that era anyway. In any event, early recordings and anecdotal
evidence suggest such a thing. So the point is if you feel you need to
roll a chord to make the pitches and fullness of sonority go for it
and it is not really necessary to mark such things unless the chord is
clearly smaller than a tenth and you need to indicate a roll of a
chord where it would not otherwise be physically required.

Shane