Re: big-picture question regarding Lilypond's capabilities (current and

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: big-picture question regarding Lilypond's capabilities (current and potential)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 18:17:23 +0100

On 16 mars 2013, at 17:17, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My two-act musical, "Robin Hood: The Legendary Musical Comedy", had a
> three-week run at Toronto's Hart House Theatre in January. It was quite
> successful, to the point that several parties have voiced an interest in
> further developing and producing it.
>
> In my dream world, people who are interested in producing any of my musicals
> should be able to say (e.g.) the following:
>
>    1. “I would like PDFs for the full score, vocal score, vocal book, and
> band parts for piano+bass+percussion."
>    2. "I would like ‘Generosity’ transposed down a tone.”
>    3. “In the opening number, I would like to cut mm. 101-117, and have mm.
> 212-213 made into a vamp (i.e., with repeat signs and the word ‘vamp, cont.
> on vox’ written above).”
>
> This email is to determine to what degree these are possible now, or might be
> possible in the future.
>
> In particular, I'm interested in #3, since it could more seriously impact the
> way I organize the input code. (For #1 and #2, it's mostly just figuring out
> and perfecting the infrastructure for on-demand printing — nontrivial, to be
> sure, but mostly post-input-code.)

I use tags with absolute note entry for this sorta thing all the time.

One thing that is relatively easy to do is to create code formatting tools that
will parse .ly code and spit out, for example, one measure per line (for simple
music) that are all tagged via some sorta system. Then, a music function can
generate keepWithTag and removeWithTag stuff based on the bars you want.

In general, in the realm of code beautifying and formatting, there are lots of
3rd party tools that can be developed around LilyPond. The less out-there the
music, the easier it is to apply these and augment the music's plasticity.

Cheers,
MS