Re: big-picture question regarding Lilypond's capabilities (current and

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: big-picture question regarding Lilypond's capabilities (current and potential)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:03:53 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> Why would you need absolute note entry?
>> Usually \relative has done its deed before you excise tags.
>
> That's great to know — I much prefer relative note entry.

Well, \relative is a music function that leaves behind absolute music.
So if you have

melody = \relative { ... \tag ... \tag ... }

then \melody contains only absolute music and

  \removeWithTag #'xxx \melody

will work fine.  If you do

\relative \removeWithTag ...

then things will go haywire as \relative will now be run on already
reduced music.  So as long as you apply \relative before removing
tagged/untagged music, you should get consistent results.

--
David Kastrup