Re: Lilypond Woodwind-Diagram for Bassoon missing half-hole option for f

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Lilypond Woodwind-Diagram for Bassoon missing half-hole option for first finger
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:01:08 +0100

On 17 Mar 2013, at 10:07 , address@hidden wrote:

On 17 mars 2013, at 09:31, Wim van Dommelen <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I tried that, but 'covered' doesn't in this stencil (the 'bassoon- cc-one-key-stencil' is different from the others) if I see this right, you need a 'ring'-type stencil to do that. Or did I miss something there?

I use 2.16.0 (stable).

So for the solution I gave Ryan, I ALSO had to change the undelying stencil, I grabbed the standard ring-column.

But that produces a circle, not the oval as in the current stencil.

Ryan, is that a problem?

If not, go two lines above and put there the exact same text as three lines lower (exact as in 'exactly with all dots, commas, brackets, etc'). I can email you a complete file if you want.

Missed that, good catch.

Thanks Wim!

Is this the case for all bassoons? If so, we can change LilyPond to reflect that.

Honestly: I don't know (for sure)!

I do know a lot on the clarinet family, so I'm working to fix that part. And as I've ~95% of the underlying new data structure ready for this, I'm pretty sure we can catch other instruments as well because it is the same type of changes. (I still have some Scheme questions I'm going to email you about in a few days....)

But for the knowledge on bassoon technique we must rely on the persons knowing these instruments. I've looked at some Google pictures of bassoons and I don't see an oval hole anywhere, but that doesn't turn me into a bassoon-player overnight :-).

Ryan & Other Bassoonists: Please look to the bassoon and the contrabassoon woodwind-stencils closely: Is the oval form of the first central hole valid? Or should it be a circle also? And what about the other keys, any problems there?

Cheers,
MS