Fingering orientations and use of <>

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Fingering orientations and use of <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:10:31 +1100

The 2.17 NR says (http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/inside-the-staff#fingering-instructions) "For fingering orientation to apply, you must use a chord construct <> even if it is a single note."

However, this only seems to be the case if you want to put the fingering on the left or the right. If you want the fingering above or below (which is where I usually put it if possible), then note^finger or note_finger without the chord construct works fine.

Is this unintentional or can I actually make use of this without finding that it will cease to be the case in some future release? If I don't have to use the chord construct, then it's considerably less typing in a guitar score with a lot of fingering indications to be able to omit the <> every time a single note has a fingering indication:

\version "2.17.14"

\relative f' {
    \override Fingering.staff-padding = #'()
    \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
   c-3 <c-3> c^3 c_3
    \set fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
   c-3 <c-3> c^3 c_3