Re: Segmentation fault with 2.17.14

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault with 2.17.14
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:03:23 +0100

Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

> I get segmentation faults with 2.17.14 on a medium to large set of files
> which compile fine with 2.17.13.  I have gotten these errors with some
> other
> recent 2.17.xx versions.  I don't believe I will get errors with a
> minimal example.
>
> What evidence can I provide that might help find the problem?

I tend to do something like

git log release/2.17.13-1..release/2.17.14-1

for "problem occured between x and y" to look for a likely candidate
based on the commit message, and I just did that.  Tell you what: easily
a third or more of all commits could be responsible.

There are two things for circling the problem: one is "git bisect" to
figure out the commit introducing the segfault.  If nothing else, we can
then revert the commit until figuring out the problem.  The other is
post-mortem-debugging the segfault to figure out the code where things
go wrong.

Either will require a developer being able to reproduce the problem.
Try reducing a file of yours to a point where the segfault still occurs
but most of the content could get thrown out.

--
David Kastrup