Re: R shorthand

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:19:30 -0400

Hi David,

<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/improve>

> What is supposed to be the result of
> { \time 3/4 << { R15 \time 2/4 R3 } \\ { R3 \time 4/4 R10 } >> }

One context consisting of a sequence of multi-measure rests totalling 51
quarter notes, simultaneously with a second context consisting of a sequence of
multi-measure rests totalling 49 quarter notes.

> Note that time changes happen synchronously in all contexts, unless the
> Timing_translator gets moved.
> So what happens if you quote music with full measure rests in contexts
> with different time signature.

An excellent question, which I am happy to leave up to those working on the
low-level code.

> You can agree however much you want to, but you won't manage to lobby
> any programmer into successfully coding the impossible.  Any
> "improvement" would just mean things breaking in more obscure ways.

This is precisely why I posed the question in the first place: So that those
with more knowledge than I in these matters could comment on whether it was
possible. Despite the spectacular — though hardly unexpected — lack of tact in
your response, I was able to parse out the answer.

Thanks,
Kieren.