Dynamics: widely varying vertical positions

From: James Harkins
Subject: Dynamics: widely varying vertical positions
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:43:24 +0800

Earlier today, I said:

~~
The issue with vertical positioning of dynamics could improve with a
setting to constrain the distance between the highest and lowest
dynamics for a staff in a system. Do we have such a setting? If not,
I'm happy to start another thread for that.
~~

Attached is an image of a perfect case where this would help. (I
thought I would have to struggle to reproduce the problem, but no...
right in front of me.)

Why is it a good idea to have the "mp" so much higher than the hairpin and "p"?

Is there a solution, apart from making an explicit Dynamics context?

Lilypond 2.16.1.

hjh