Re: Another happy lilypond user

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Another happy lilypond user
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:36:25 -0500

On Mar 24, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Alberto Simões wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 24/03/13 14:55, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Well, I am somewhat unhappy with that focus on the pricing of Finale as
>> my own work is being funded by LilyPond users who are typically paying
>> somewhat more to substantially more than the "Finale tax" would entail.
>>
>> For them, the important difference obviously is not that Finale costs
>> money to use.  On the one hand, they get quite more in return for their
>> payment than the right to run a single copy.  On the other hand,
>> everybody else gets the same, without paying.
>
> Given I use lilypond a lot for my own websites (that are also free work, but
> whatever) I went to lilypond website to check if there was an easy way to
> donate, but it only contains information about "exchanging money with
> features". Shouldn't a simplified "donate" button be placed somewhere in the
> website?

This is a discussion that has been had several times.  The issue is that the
Lilypond project does not have a central manager to act as accountant and to
divvy out donations; doing so would add a tremendous overhead.  The current
funding system is for contributors to work directly with developers and pay
them directly, e.g., through bounties to address specific problems or desires.