How to run Lilypond from the Mac OS terminal

From: Eduardo Silva
Subject: How to run Lilypond from the Mac OS terminal
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:17:19 -0600

Hello, I'm new to the Mac OS X and I can't figure out how to run Lilypond from the terminal. What I have done so far:
- Lilypond is working as a stand alone
- jEdit runs and compiles Lilypond
- As far as I understand I created the files as instructed in this part of the documentation (http://www.lilypond.org/macos-x.html)
Now I get this error if I run lilypond -h, for example:
/Users/edsilva/bin/lilypond: line 2: /Users/edsilva/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory
/Users/edsilva/bin/lilypond: line 2: exec: /Users/edsilva/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: cannot execute: No such file or directory

This is the content of my .profile file:
edsilva$ cat .profile

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2013-01-17_at_06:25:38: adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

What am I missing?

Eduardo