Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:51:21 -0000

Phil Holmes wrote Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:57 PM

> Gould (page 80) says that a sharp note tied to another across a system break
> should cause the note-tied-to to have a normal accidental, and further notes
> of the same (altered) pitch should have no accidental - exactly as the OP
> was requesting.

Actually, Gould is a little more explicit than that.  The entire section reads:

"It is helpful to repeat an accidental on a tied notes at the beginning of a
new system so that the reader does not have to look back at the previous
system to confirm the pitch.  The tied accidental may be enclosed in
brackets, although brackets may decrease the legibility of the accidental.
For music with many tied chords, it is often better not to repeat
accidentals, as they congest the beginning of systems.

"If the accidental for the tied note is without brackets, a repeat of the
pitch later in the bar does not require confirmation.  This notation is
preferable to repeating an accidental twice in a bar in close succession."

But Phil's paraphrasing seems pretty close to the last paragraph.  I would
suggest an alternative, placing the accidental on the tied note in brackets
and then repeating it if a further note occurs, is equally valid.  Maybe this
should be an option,

Trevor