Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 07:41:00 +0100

TaoCG <address@hidden> writes:

> Kieren MacMillan wrote
>> By hiding the accidental after the break, I introduce [unnecessary]
>> ambiguity at the beginning of the system, which can only be resolved by
>> looking backwards to the end of the last system — it is precisely for this
>> reason that Gould (and many others) suggest repeating the accidental after
>> a line break.
>
> I don't see the ambiguity. The note is tied anyway and not to be
> articulated if I were to start playing from that measure.

For a note that is tied merely to avoid it crossing the barline (the
kind that would not have been tied at all in Renessaince music), maybe.

If a choir or orchestra is given instructions "start from measure x",
and measure x starts with a long tied note in one voice, that voice will
usually be expected to join the harmony.

--
David Kastrup