Re: Tempo marking pushes rehearsal mark far above the staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tempo marking pushes rehearsal mark far above the staff
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 09:20:55 -0400

Hi Keith,

> both MetronomeMark and RehearsalMark need to have space reserved.

If any two grobs "have space reserved", will collision avoidence always be
accomplished horizontally?
There are many times I don't like the fact that Lilypond's default is to push
grobs along a vertical axis…

> I always use the set of overrides below.
> (For some reason they don't work for Kieren, however, so he prefers
> composing all his tempo marks as text markup
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-02/msg00201.html> )

Most of the time, your overrides work fine. I haven't yet narrowed down the
exact circumstances where they don't (i.e., lead instead to "catastrophic"
spacing problems).

I want to put together a comprehensive spacing test suite, but have no time
while I'm in the midst of this crazy (but awesome!) rush of commissions and
engravings. I'm hoping to have some time in June to tackle this.

Best,
Kieren.