Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 23:50:17 +0100

On 02/04/2013 23:31, David Kastrup wrote:
Anthonys Lists <address@hidden> writes:

If they DID relicence it, then it is copyrightable
Nonsense.  An explicit license can be given for things not actually
requiring a license for particular uses under current legal standards.
It is a pledge "if you follow these rules, I won't drag you to court
over use of this material", and if that explicit pledge is broken, the
complaint is very likely to just get tossed without incurring
significant costs.

Except that they didn't own any copyright in any of the header (or I assume so). The point I'm making is that "if a licence was needed, then Google had no right to grant it".

So what Google did was, effectively, say "if you follow these rules, I won't sue you for trespassing on my neighbour's property". Even worse, if it were copyrightable, Google would be inciting people to break copyright.

That is totally different from opining some material to not be
copyrightable.  You might need to convince a court explicitly then, and
particularly in the U.S., that can be a rather expensive feat even if
you prevail.

Agreed.

Cheers,
Wol