Re: Constraining widths of layout objects (TimeSignature)

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Constraining widths of layout objects (TimeSignature)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:29:01 -0500

Hi Hanns,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Hanns Holger Rutz <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm staring at

    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Size-of-objects#Size-of-objects

(A little off-topic: this is a rather old version of LilyPond.  Current stable is 2.16.2.  There have been many many improvements.)

but there is no information about how to constrain the width of objects. I would like to adjust the width of a time signature. I randomly tried

    \score {
      \new RhythmicStaff {
        \override Staff.TimeSignature #'minimum-length = #23
        \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \char ##x00D7 1/4 }
        \time 1/16
        \times 2/3 {
            c'32  c'32  c'32

but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have independent scores with different time signatures, and they must have all the same layout width.

I'm not clear on what you want here: do you mean that the stencil of a time signature like 2/4 would be stretched horizontally so it occupies the same space as a signature like 17/16, or do you mean that the following notes would begin at the same position?

where would I look up all the possible overrides for Staff.TimeSignature?

For 2.12, you can find information here:
 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/TimeSignature#TimeSignature

--David