Re: Ties and slurs, dashed and solid

From: Alex Voice
Subject: Re: Ties and slurs, dashed and solid
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 14:55:19 +0000

On 05/04/2013 13:36, "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden> wrote:

>2013/4/5 Alex Voice <address@hidden>:
>> Hi Lilypond Experts,
>>
>> In a piece of music I am currently engraving, the composer requests a
>> combination of dashed slur on the harmonic but solid tie on the base
>>note,
>> and in the following it works perfectly in example A, but in B (where
>>the
>> harmonic remains on the note d) one gets an extra solid tie. I have
>>tried
>> various ways around this (see B' and B'') but neither are quite
>>satisfactory
>> ­ in B' the phrasing slur is no substitute for a tie, and in B'' the
>>stems
>> do not quite align convincingly.
>>

>> \version "2.16.2"
>> \relative c'
>> {
>> \time 3/4
>> \set doubleSlurs = ##f
>> <<
>> {  \slurDashed
>> d2.\harmonic^\markup "A" ^( | c2.\harmonic) }
>> { g2.~ | g2. }
>>>>
>> % --------------
>> <<
>> {  \slurDashed
>> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
>> { g,2.~ | g2. }
>>>>
>> % --------------
>> <<
>> {  \slurDashed
>> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B'" ^( | d2.\harmonic ) }
>> { g,2._\( | g2.\) }
>>>>
>> % --------------
>> <<
>> {  \slurDashed
>> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B''" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
>> \\
>> {
>> \stemUp
>> g,2._~ | g2.
>> }
>>>>
>> }
>>

>> Am I missing something really obvious here!? Is there any way of losing
>>the
>> superfluous tie in B?
>>
>> Many thanks for whatever advice or solutions you may suggest.
>>
>> Alex Voice

>Hi,
>
>does the code below what you want?
>
>\version "2.16.2"
>
>\new Voice
>\relative c' {
>\time 3/4
>  <<
>    {
>           \slurDashed
>           d2.\harmonic^\markup "A" ^( |
>           c2.\harmonic)
>    }
>    {
>           g2.~ | g2.
>    }
>  >>
>%      --------------
>  <<
>    {
>           \phrasingSlurDashed
>           d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B"^\( |
>           d2.\harmonic\)
>    }
> [...]

Hi Harm,

Thank you very much for your swift reply. I think your example B is
similar in output to my example B' - it would be great to get a tie
underneath instead of a slur\phrasing slur, so that the whole effect is
more like that of example A. I suppose it's not vital, but Lilypond has
always proved so flexible in the past, that it seemed likely that that
would be a way to get exactly what was wanted. Is it inevitable that
Lilypond will tie both notes if they are the same in the same note column,
unless one specifies otherwise? And how might one do that!?

Alex