Re: Scheme music function to expand lyrics

From: Yannick CHARLES
Subject: Re: Scheme music function to expand lyrics
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 17:21:19 +0200

2013/4/6 Felix Janda <address@hidden>

> On 04/06/13 at 02:14pm, Yannick CHARLES wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > Thank you for your answer and your suggestions.
> > I plan anyways to use inclusion and to split my code between multiple
> > files.
> > My main problem is that the number of verses can vary between songs. But a
> > solution to this could be to build the list in the lyric file, which is
> > specific to each song.
>
> That sounds good. There is no specific need to know the number of verses, is
> there?

Well, using a construct like :
#(define rawlyrics (list #{ \one #} #{ \two #}))
assumes that I know there are exactly 2 verses, this part cannot thus
be generic.

Problem is fixed if I define a specific "rawlirics" list per song.
Or maybe I can find some way to make it generic by, let's say, having
a variable verseNumber = n, and a function extracting the n first
elements of a big liste storing generic names for the verses ("one"
"two" "three"...). This is more or less what I was thinking at the
beginning.

But in the end it is maybe even better to have a list per song, even
if it seems less generic : this allow to group together 3 current
template I have (verse-verse verse-chorus and chorus only), the fourth
is different (chorus-verse-dacapo chorus). And it helps with simple
exception to predefined templates (e.g. verse1 chorus, verse 2 chorus,
verse3 chorus, verse4 end-chorus).

I'll think of the two possibilities.

> > Then I can use the other functions you suggested me in the template file.
> >
> > Thanks a lot I'll look to the code to figure out it's different parts.
> They were just some (too) minimal examples. I hope you find a nice solution.

Thanks a lot ! It will already help me a lot, as I'm totally new to
scheme, and it was difficult for me to figure out how to combine
properly lilypond code and scheme. Now I have this (working) basis so
start with.

Yann