Re: lilypond source and music sheet database

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: lilypond source and music sheet database
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 22:50:49 +0200

Hi,

2013/4/6 Stjepan Horvat <address@hidden>:
> Hey guys .. what would you prefer using as a lilypond database. I have bunch
> of files in bunch of folders laying around my pc with diferent versions of
> the same song, 20 same/diffrent config files, unsorted and some of them
> already are lost or can't find. Call it as a local "publishing" thing. I was
> using git but they say it is not good for binary (pdf) files..it is for
> programming..i want something where i can look for something i made 2 years
> ago. What are your solutions..?!

I am using git and i'm *very* happy about it.  Git can be used for
everything, binary files too.  Of course, the problem with pdfs is
that they cannot be easily diffed, but that's not particular to git -
i don't think other VCS do better in this regard.

The things is, use git for tracking source files, not pdfs.  If you
put \version statements in all your .ly files, you can always recreate
a pdf with appropriate LilyPond version.

Actually, it might make sense to track some pdfs as well, but i'd say
only the versions that are somewhat final, and i'd create two
repositories: one with sources, in which all pdfs would be ignored,
and another one with finished ("published") versions of pdfs - ones
that are supposed to change rarely.

hope this helps you,
janek

PS depending on your experience with VCSes (and your OS) Mercurial
might be a better choice sometimes.